Monday, September 28, 2015

Dear Reader

Dear Reader,
Wow, first two words of this blog and I'm already mimicking Jane Eyre. Or we can get all fancy and say that I'm "referencing" Jane Eyre. Or better yet, that this is a case of "intertextuality."
But, anyways, dear reader, hi. I am completely, whole-heartedly and utterly honest when I say I am happy to make your acquaintance in whatever shape or form. I'm dying to have bookish friends - friends to do readalongs with, friends to have hour-long chats about books and authors, or just... readers, I suppose, that read what I have to say about bookish stuff and reply sometimes, if they feel they have something to say (sometimes I find I don't have that much to say in response to an article, don't you?).
I'd like to begin saying that I find writing nerve-wracking. Especially in English. As you may already suspect, English is not my native tongue. No, that is Spanish. I am Argentinian. I started taking English classes with a tutor when I was ten years old (22 now, yes, still young and fresh and new to this "living" thing), and I sort of never stopped. And by "sort of never stopped" I mean I sold my soul to the devil like Doctor Faustus in order to become Da Ultimate English Master. And by "selling my soul to the devil," I mean, of course, that I am an English Literature and Translation major at university and I study the language and its literature like my life depends on it. Well, sort of. When I am not procrastinating. When I am not reading books that aren't for school (mostly in English). When an exam is coming. So I apologize in advance for all the various mistakes that this blog is going to have. I promise I'll do my best though, and feel free to correct me (nicely, if you can, no pressure though).
But I am more than the languages I speak and my proficiency in them, even though my academic choices don't seem to agree with me on this point. I have a passion for literature. I want to be a writer someday. I scribble short stories in my notebooks sometimes instead of paying attention in class, and then I translate them from the original Spanish into English and I send them to literary magazines with fancy names and interesting (though not very large) readerships. I also like to read (duh!). I am a slow reader and I have taken a fastidious liking towards large and sometimes complicated books, but I wouldn't be happy if I weren't reading a few things at a time. This is why I created this blog, because I have ideas and opinions about the things I read and I want to share them and become a part of the dialogue. I considered joining BookTube but I guess I'll leave it in the "Maybe Some Day" list. I am not the most eloquent person when it comes to speaking (especially in a foreign language) and I'd have to acquire some expertise in the arts of recording video, and my brain feels pretty crammed right now. So... "Maybe Some Day".
For the time being, I have my books, I have thoughts on them and I have this, a brand new blog, and I present them humbly to you, dear reader, to use and peruse and do with it whatever you please, because that's what the internet is for, isn't it?
Yours sincerely,
Vir (short for Virginia, btw)

No comments:

Post a Comment